Bibliography of published works (short stories)
1. Chicken Soup for the College Soul, contributor, Health Communications
2. “Science Camp,” California Teacher
3. “Science Camp,” Christian Science Monitor
4. “Sally Port, Potty Patrol,” The San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Magazine
5. “Captive Audience,” California Teacher
6. “Socrates,” Teacher Laughs Quips, Quotes and Anecdotes About The Classroom, Editor Allen Klein, Gramercy Books
7. “Ghost Kid,” The San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Magazine
8. “All The Wrong Moves,” Teacher Magazine
9. “Quarantined,” San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Magazine
10. “Serprise Package From Skippy,” San Francisco Chronicle Sunday Magazine
11. Open My Eyes, Open My Soul: Celebrating Our Common Humanity, contributor, edited by Yolanda King (Daughter of Martin Luther King Jr.) and Elodia Tate, McGraw-Hill Co. - 2 stories –“The Baby Flight” and “Korean Kisses.”
12. Volunteer Tales: Experiences of Working Abroad, contributor, edited by Savita Bailur & Helen Rana, Cambridge, England: Lutterworth Press
13. Chicken Soup for the Mother & Daughter Soul: Stories to Warm the Heart and Honor the Relationship, contributor, Health Communications
14. Chicken Soup for the Unsinkable Soul, contributor, Health Communications
15. Chicken Soup for the College Soul, contributor, Health Communications
16. A 4th Course of Chicken Soup for the Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirits, contributor; Health Communications
I. First Person Singular Program (2000-present) Every month Paul reads a short story or editorial on radio KUSP, 88.9 FM (NPR affiliate) Santa Cruz, CA.
II. Off The Bookshelf With Billie Harris (11/28/04) – a thirty minute program reading five of his stories on KUSP:
1. “Yellow Slug-Bug No Slugs Back”
2. “My War With a Samoan Chief”
3. “Have a Nice Day”
4. “Music to Soothe the Savage Beast”
5. “Cherubs of the Yellow Orca”
III. Foreign Stories - Produced by Howard Scheer Two stories – Korean Kisses and Baby Flight read on radio, KUSP, 88.9 FM, Foreign Stories Project - 2003.
1. Public Access (Monterey Channel 24) – Panel Discussion – Education & its State of Grace Today. Paul Karrer was one of four panelists, Aug, 2001.
2. Public Access (Monterey Channel 24) - recording of short story reading at Carmel Valley Library. (1½ hours), Dec., 2002
3. Interviewed by TV station KSBW (Hearst-Argyle – NBC Affiliate) Monterey, Salinas, Santa Cruz, for two stories in Yolanda King’s book – Open My Eyes, Open My Soul - Jan 15, 2004
1. San Jose State University, Ca, The Baby Flight with Yolanda King (daughter of Martin Luther King), International, national, and local media. Feb. 6, 2004
2. Pine Inn, Carmel, Ca - read short stories to assist funding of American Youth Hostel Organization. 2004
3. National Writers Union Speaker, Thunderbird Book Store, Carmel, Ca, - “Chicken Soup or Chicken Poop?” Nov. 27th, 2003
4. Carmel Valley Library, Carmel Ca, speaker "Short Stories and How They Grow." Oct., 2002
1st Place - Round Table Pizza Poetry Contest -1999
1st Place - Monterey County Post Short Story Contest - 1994
1st Place – Monterey County Weekly Christmas Contest - 1989
Screen rights option “The Baby Flight,” 1990
"Paul Karrer is absolutely one of my favorite writers. His writings come straight from the heart and pull on your own heartstrings, as well as make you laugh."
— Elodia Tate, Co-creator "Open My Eyes, Open My Soul"
"Paul Karrer is the teacher we all wish we'd had back in sixth grade-wise, funny, concerned and caring. And he's a great writer! If you have any curiosity at all as to what it's really like out there on the front lines of our public schools, Paul Karrer is the go-to guy".
—Joyce Krieg - Author of the award-winning Shauna J. Bogart Talk Radio Series (St. Martin's Minotaur)
"Paul Karrer is a hoot to listen to. He's one of our preferred writers. His stories can make us tear up with joy, anger, or sadness, but they all have a thoughtful punch at the end. We're pleased to help him."
—Margie Kern-Marshall, co-producer. First Person Singular - Radio KUSP. Radio kusp.org/firstperson. 88.9 FM Santa Cruz, Ca